Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Let me tell you a story

Back when I was in highschool.. Oh i dunno, about sixteen or seventeen I was having one of those extended bad weeks. I was fighting with my mom.. School sucked.. Fed up with my friends.. All the typical stuff that makes a teenager frusterated and sad, but none the less it is all still a problem and stressful for a girl.

Immediately after yelling back and forth with my mom and hiding in my room I decided I couldn't take it anymore and I snuck out the door. And down the flight of stairs to sit at the bottom and smoke the cigarette I stole from my mom.

I sat there. Silent and still in appearence, but buzzing and screaming and thinking a thousand things at once. Mostly helpnessness, feelings of out of control.. Basically exceptional frustration. These nights where I became overwhelmed usually frequented every few months. And every few months I would sneak out and sit still on those steps.

For some reason that night I stood up. And I walked the thirty steps out to my street and I turned and looked down my street to the busyness and the river and all the lights of the peoples homes I would never know and I let out a huge sigh. And then, for no reason at all I tilted my head back to look at the stars. The moment I looked up a huge star shot across the sky and then dissapeared. Just like that. a shooting star in the middle of the night when there was no mention of a meteor shower or anyting. I wouldn't of seen it if I was a second late or early. I wouldn't of seen it if I hadn't tilted my head back. I wouldn't of seen it if I didn't randomly walk out to my street. But I was supposed to see that star.

And that my friends is why life is beautiful. Why I don't give up. And why I believe everything happens for a reason.

Also why I love stars and have a tattoo.

No comments: