Thursday, January 8, 2009

Character writing exercise. (virgin attempt)

So I just started a creative writing workshop and was told I will be a better writer the more I write and practice. Therefore, I am going to attempt to write about some character. As of this moment I have no idea whom I will speak of. I only know it will be of complete fiction based on fact and that their revealing traits most likely wont make much sense. Ah such a daunting task to write twenty-four pages this semester.

I walked into the big red room. So barron as if the most atrocious mimimalist had lived here for their entire existence. The ceiling curved upward to an intimidating point and from its exact center a chandeller hung. It possessed countless tiers all made from thousands of shards of broken glass. Each of them delicately throwing light around the room as if it were a game. Imperfect perfection at its finest.
I could feel the chilled air stealing every ounce of warmth I knew of. It reminded me of winter when I was young. Hours spent outside, tears freezing to icicles as I begged my father to let me back in the house.. I never understood until later why I couldnt stay inside when our neighbour Marla came over while mom was working the night shift. He always played the same tape when she came over, so often that I would whisper the lyrics, barely legible through my chattering teeth. Lost in the past I wondered why I had even bothered to come here. How could my life possibly improve by finding him and allowing him back into my life?
In awe of the floating reflections on the seemingly haunted red walls I failed to notice a leather bound book in the far corner. Probably because the floor was covered in dust.


MEHHHHH thats all I got, what do you think?

2 comments:

JustSal said...

I really enjoyed what you wrote. Have you tried writing in 1st 2nd and 3rd person
1st is obviously "I"
2nd is he she we
3rd is David, Kate, Michael you name the person.

It's an interesting exercise to write from different perspectives as the first person can be very limiting. Good luck with your course though.

makeanimpression said...

thank you for the feedback! i really appreciate it, and no i havent tried another point of view yet.. i think that will be the next thing i tackle.