Monday, January 26, 2009

CRWR - Dialogue Str by Num con't

I sit in the waiting room of the 24-hour clinic sipping my umpteenth cup of water trying to cure myself of the horrible hangover I can feel swimming through my body. It’s almost ten o’clock in the morning and I desperately wish I was in my bed in a thoughtless sleep rather than planning out the best way to explain my completely embarrassing situation. I guess that’s what I deserve for partying with my 20 year old cousin Lyss. She always tells me I’m mature for being 15 so that’s why she takes me out. She’s usually always just around the corner eavesdropping on all my conversations and making sure her “dirty perverted” guy-friends don’t get any ideas, but where did she end up last night? I hardly remember seeing her after we got to the after-party.
I have my eyes squeezed shut in concentration, half trying to push my headache out through my ears and half trying to remember the last thing I did before I passed out. Drunken memories are always like reading a book with the pages ripped out of it. Chapter one, drinking games with Lyss’ friends. Chapter two, me losing three times in a row and having to chug that nasty cup filled with a ridiculous combo of scotch, vodka, beer, and coolers to the chants and high fives of everyone around me. Chapter 3, dancing in the living room, or was it the kitchen? Chapter 4?.. Chapter 5 is piecey yet vivid. I’m lying awkwardly on a couch and struggling with either Justin or Anthony, I always got the two of them confused. Either way, a satisfied grin crawls across his face as he holds both my arms back with ease. I distinctly remember his smelly breath right in my face as he allows his full weight to crush me. I have no control of my body or his and curl into a ball as he stands and pulls up his pants.
“Jessica Morley,” The nurse calls impatiently as she scans the crowded room of patients wishing it was their name and not mine. I consider just not answering and running home to my bed but that would be avoiding my problems at large. I stand up and do a drunken wobble to the left first, and then lean my body to the right in the actually direction I’m supposed to be going. She gives me a disapproving look as if I’m her daughter or something, then turns on her heel and walks at a speed unheard of for this time of the morning.
I pace back and forth in the tiny sterile room attempting to sort out how to explain something I don’t even fully understand to a doctor. The door clicks open and my file is placed with ease onto the counter opposite me as an old man slides through followed by another woman who looks a little nervous but she’s wearing the white coat too so she much know what she’s doing.
“I’m Dr. Viterno, and this is Dr. Reesley she’s just going to be eavesdropping on us today,” He says without glancing up from my file. Dr. Reesley smiles as she meets my gaze but I return it with hesitant eyes. “And you are here for…”
My gaze shifts to him and I’m caught off guard by his expectant eyes. I really wish there was just a vending machine for these things. “Well,” I start and look around the room for some encouragement but am just met with posters asking if I’ve been checked for STD’s in the past 6 months. “I think I need the pill, I mean Plan B; I mean the morning after pill.” I blurt out in a much more jumbled manor than I intended.
“Well which one is it my dear,” Dr. Viterno quickly responds in a condescending tone as he crosses his arms against his chest. “There’s a big difference between birth control and the morning after pill, you should know that if you’re going to come in here asking for either.” He says wasting little time as he glances at his co-worker with a professional look. I can see the smirk in his eyes as his crow’s feet are embellished through his thick glasses. I wish he could be a little more encouraging, I mean I’m just a kid and this is already embarrassing enough.
“The morning after pill please.” I say in the most confident tone I can manage. I feel like dirt sitting on this bench thing trying to act the age of someone who should actually be in this position.
He exhales and looks at me as if he’s looking at me like every other patient that walks in here. “And how old are you?” He sighs as he scribbles something on his notepad.
“I just turned fifteen a couple months ago.” I say quietly. He glances back up at me, this time without the smirk or judgment and pauses from his scribbling.
I relax a little and think of how I will tell him quickly about my terrible night but he interrupts my thoughts- “You kids just keep getting younger and younger it baffles me sometimes,” He starts as he pulls his glasses off to get a better look at me. “You just fuck like bunnies and don’t think about the consequences until after your little parties. What about going on a few dates instead of going out-” He motions towards my post-drunken self while simultaneously glancing at Dr. Reesley “-until your wasted and then having sex with all your friends?” He finishes, emphasizing his last sentence with pride. I see Dr. Reesley’s mouth slightly open as her eyes widen and glance at me. I stare straight at my hands, my face flushed with embarrassment. Silence pursues as I fold and unfold my unsteady hands. Anger and embarrassment mix dangerously in my gut; I hold my tongue even though leftover liquid courage tells me otherwise.
He grabs a notepad and writes a few words down before passing it to me. “It’s going to cost you ten bucks for this, we don’t hand these things out like lollipops you know. Is there anything else I can help you with?” I know he’s just asking that because its protocol. He is already shuffling my papers back together and getting ready to leave.
“No that’s it,” I responded with more confidence in my voice than I’ve had in a while. I stood up and placed my hand on the door handle before he can get to it. “It’s just,” I turned around and stared at him square in the face. “If it was my choice I wouldn’t want to lose my virginity at 15. I didn’t realize that ‘fucking like bunnies’ meant rape.” I got a glance of his revealing eyes and I slammed the door in his face. This place has to be the reason why walk-in clinics get their bad name from, I thought to myself as I headed to the pharmacy where I could start to erase the worst night of my life from my memory.

No comments: