Thursday, January 15, 2009

First Assignment - Scene - CRWR

I could feel my ears stinging as I half walk, half shuffle-run to the skytrain. I left at 4:04 rather than 3:59 meaning I'm probably going to miss my train by just 1 minute and I'm going to be late for work again. Passing by the local coffee shop I peek through the window just like I always do to see if there are any interesting customers today. I spot a couple drinking out of glass mugs rather than the cardboard to-go cups. The woman is coyly rolling the emblem of her necklace back and forth on its chain as the man readjusts himself in his chair so he is perched on the edge of his seat. He then leans forward just inches away from her ear and whispers a joke only the two of them understand. I can tell because she comfortably lets her head fall back as she giggles and enjoys the moment the two have shared. I wish I had time to sit and laugh over inside jokes with my boyfriend. It would probably be a good idea to conquer the boyfriend part before I start drinking coffee with him though. The shop disappears and is replaced by the 48 stairs I climb everyday. I only know its 48 because I have a habit of counting when I'm on the go, really just a habit of counting in general. I smile silently as I realize I have only counted 24 stairs because I'm taking them two at a time to catch the train.

That familiar tone sounds letting me know I only have a second before the door shuts and I squeeze onto the train at the last second. Maybe today is my lucky day after all. A few odd glances are shot my way and I realize it’s because I have disrupted the awkward silence of strangers with my heaving breathing and clumsy attempt to catch the steel bar as the train starts. Flustered and sweating from my mini speed walk I skirt to the closest seat and glance at my fellow transiters. 18 people are on the train including myself. Thank God because I usually feel like I'm at a crowded school dance. The only difference is that I'm not dancing with a cute boy, I'm hip to hip with an old construction worker covered in dirt and exuding BO from his armpits, which are at the exact level of my nostrils by the way. Thanks for the great genes Mom, I think to myself as we pull into Lougheed Station. It’s usually busy at this stop but today only a few people saunter in. At the last second this guy hops through the doors just like I did earlier.

He is pretty much my definition of perfection. I silently violate him as I look him up and down. His black converse sneakers pump to the beat in his headphones. He wipes his hands subconsciously on his worn faded jeans while he calmly scans the room from behind his ridulously long eyelashes. He looks as if he has been through a lot and then some. Not in a bad way, a way that makes him wise beyond his years. There is only two decent options as to where he could sit. Directly in front of me or beside me. I feel the butterflies escape from my stomach and surround my chest, as he makes his way towards me. He sits down beside me and I get a whiff of that unfamiliar and intriguing scent of a boy. Thats when I realize I know this mystery man! There are endless stories of us together in my journal just hanging out. I day-dream for hours each week thinking about all the trouble we could get into. I cant believe it`s really him! He`s tall, loves music, smells exactly like I`ve imagined.. I debate sparking a conversation so that we can hit it off, but I`m not sure if that would be stalkerish.

“Excuse me” I almost whisper in a shakey voice. He doesn’t even look at me. How could my soulmate just ignore me like that I think to myself.
“Excuse me” I say a bit louder while tapping him on the shoulder lightly two times. He takes his earphones out and looks at me with his blue eyes like he’s looking at me for the first time. Our eyes connect and we exchange a feeling I know he will never forget. “This is my stop.” I say, I can’t believe we are having a conversation! He moves so I can squeeze past him and I use all the power I possess not to look back at him as I walk off the train.

What an amazing day yet nothing has changed. Rewinding and fast-forwarding and pausing, the last 16 minutes in my head was elevating my mood like a good dose of morphene. I couldn’t help but wonder if he felt the same way. I lost track of the number of steps I had taken as I realized he might of hardly noticed me at all. For all I know he could be on the way to his real girlfriends of something. Thats an impossibility I assure myself, he even had blue eyes! I regain my pace and start all over again. One, two, three, four...
****

No comments: